Site Search

Mixed results for the Northern Conference in WAFC U18s State Grand Finals

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 12:15 PM

The WAFC U18s State Grand Finals took place on Saturday the 21st of September at Fremantle Community Bank Oval, with a excited crowd turning out in force to cheer on their teams in each of the three Division State Finals. In order to qualify for the State Finals, team earned their spot by winning their own local Grand Final in their own Conference U18s Competition.


The first of three matches for the day was the Division 3 Grand Final, which saw the Northern Conference represented by Scarborough Gold take on the Central Conference, represented by Bassendean JFC, in what was a fiercely contested game between both sides. The match was back & forth all morning, with both sides not able to get any more than a two goal lead at any stage. In the final minutes, Bassendean fought off a brave Scarborough Gold team to win by three points in an absolute thriller.


The Division 2 Grand Final was also contested between the Northern & Central Conference, this time with Marist JFC & Morley JFC facing off. A tough game of footy throughout, scores were very close as both teams headed into half time. In the second half, Marist was able to wrestle control of the game & kick away to go on to win comfortably. Jacquin Ciminata was awarded the man of the match award by the on field umpires & received the match ball for his efforts.



The Division 1 Grand Final was played between Ellenbrook JFC & Winnacott JFC, representing the Central & Southern Conferences respectively. The match was again a reasonably close game throughout, though Ellenbrook proved too strong in the end, running away with the game late to be crowned WAFC State Champions.


Congratulations to all teams involved & a massive thank you to the umpires, volunteers & parents who assisted in ensuring the day was officiated well & was a massive success. Special mention to West Perth Competition Director Nat Sharman & Assistant Competition Director Rhys Mola for giving up their time & travelling down to officiate the Division 2 Grand Final.